Advice for tutors


Because the private tutoring market is unregulated, there is possibility for unsafe individuals to operate under the name of students. Whether you're choosing tutoring at your own home, at student's home, or meeting in a library or a public location such as a coffee shop, safety must be your main priority.

If you are visiting a student or parent at their home for the first time, make sure that you have already spoken to them on the phone and have a basic knowledge about them. Ask if anyone else is going to be there and accompanying the student. Take your mobile phone with yourself, tell a friend or family member where you are going, who you are meeting and your expected return time.

If you are offering private tutoring from your own home, make sure you're providing a safe environment for the students. Do a risk assessment, identify and remove potential hazards within your workplace. (Check The Health and Safety Executive website, for more information). Once more, it is recommended to talk to the potential student and/or the student's parent over the phone before arranging lesson at your home. Get to know them, let your family or friend know who is visiting you and when. Let the students and/or parent know if anyone else is going to be present at your home while the private lesson is proceeding.

Tutoring under age students

If the student is under 18 years old, it is strongly recommended that the tutor undergo an Enhanced DBS/CRB check ( Disclosure and Barring Service). A DBS check for self-employed tutors are not compulsory, however it is a serious criminal offence to seek to work with children after having been barred from doing so. In addition, tutors must ensure that the student has consent from a parent or a guardian for requesting a private tuition. For students aged under 16 years old, they must be accompanied by a parent or family member to the teacher's house. It is also recommended that under age students to be accompanied by their parent or an adult family member during the tutoring.

Tax and self-employment

If you start working for yourself, you're classed as a sole trader, which means you're self-employed. As soon as you start earning income, you are liable for income tax on your profits and national insurance contribution. You must inform HMRC about your employment status and follow the regulation. Visit "www." for more information.


Having insurance is not legal requirements for tutors, however with work comes responsibility. If you're planning to offer tutoring, it is advised to have the right insurance cover in place. If a claim is brought against you without insurance, you will have to pay the compensation out of your own pocket, which in some instances the cost could be significant. There are several insurance covers for private tutors, however the most important ones are; Professional indemnity insurance and Public liability insurance.

Professional indemnity insurance covers the costs of claims against inadequate tutoring such as miseducation or failing to cover off a key part of a course. Public liability insurance covers tutors in the event they damage student's property or belongings while visiting them in their home or if students injure themselves while at your premises.

13 A Macclesfield Street W1D 5BS
United Kingdom

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.